The Aapravasi Ghat historical site is an important symbol of Mauritian identity since the ancestors of more than 70% of today’s Mauritian population arrived on the island through this immigration depot.
Located on the bay of Trou Fanfaron, in the capital of Port-Louis, The Depot was built in 1849 to receive indentured laborers from India, Eastern Africa, Madagascar, China and Southeast Asia to work on the island’s sugar estates as part of the 'Great Experiment’. It was initiated by the British Government, after the abolition of slavery in the British Empire in 1834, to demonstrate the superiority of ‘free’ over slave labor in its plantation colonies. Thus resulting in a world-wide migration of more than two million indentured laborers, of which Mauritius received almost half a million. On 16 July 2006, the Aapravasi Ghat, which from Hindi can be translated as “the landing place of immigrants”, was inscribed in the World Heritage List of UNESCO.